Contemporary Litany: Psalm 30

Here’s a thoughtful litany based on Psalm 30. It was written by Erik Alsgaard.

Litany
(based on Psalm 30)

Like a person admitted to the emergency room
in need of defibrillation,
you have brought me back from the brink of death, O God.
Even though cancer seeks to remove my hair, my voice,
my strength, my sense of taste,
nothing can remove your love from me, O God.
In the middle of the night, when all about is quiet
and the only sounds are my anxieties and fears
creeping through my veins,
your love sustains me and brings me
through to the morning.

In the middle of the afternoon, when chaos threatens,
and the priorities of our professions and family
seem mutually exclusive,
your love sustains me and brings me
a sense of purpose and priority.

Does illness praise you, O God? Does death?
No! For you, O God, have removed the bonds
of sin and death, and I will sing your praises forever.

— written by Erik Alsgaard, and posted on the Worship Elements page of the Ministry Matters website. Visit that site for many other good lectionary-based worship resources.